Wednesday, June 22, 2011

It's Raining!

  Well, I awoke at 2 am this morning to the sound of thunder. I was really disoriented and thought I was back in Arkansas. Couldn't believe that when I shook the sleepiness off that I was hearing thunder here in Texas! Then I listened more earnestly and heard the sound of rain hitting the window. Oh how desperately we have needed rain. After spending two weeks in Arkansas where they have had more than their share, I have been hoping and praying that the Lord would see fit to send some of that heavenly water down on Texas. I have laughingly said that there are just too many politicians in Austin and all their hot air just sucks the moisture right out of the sky. I'm guessing the state legislature must be on vacation and now is our chance to get some rain. I grew up in West Texas where it didn't rain a lot but oh when it did, it was a "toad floater". I guess that expression came from the horned toads that would be found floating in our alleys and culverts.  Anyway, I was just recalling the scripture that says, "God causes it to rain on the just and the unjust" and it reminded me that just like rain that falls we are living in a spiritual desert of sorts in America. People seek after their own gratification rather than serving their fellow men (and women). Just recently I have met a group of people who are either headed to AD to teach or are already there. They are giving up everything comfortable and familiar to go to a place where they will be able to teach children and young people English in order that these students may be more equipped to function in a global community. All are making a sacrifice, whether it is to leave nice homes and good jobs or just family members and friends who are dear to them. I am so glad I connected with this group of peeps who are all waiting with great anticipation the opportunity that is set before them. I regret that for now I don't get to join them but know that I will be able to follow their adventures in AD while I share my "not quite so exciting" adventures in Arkansas. So I close by giving you these words from Robert Frost who said, " I am not a teacher, I am an awakener". May that be true of all of us. Just as this long needed rain will awaken a parched land, let those of us who teach awaken those our lives touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment